Thursday, December 30, 2004

Are You a Passionate Relator or Professional Religionist?

Study the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. *

It seems that God has this ‘if, then’ relationship going with His people in the Old Testament. I wonder if that ‘if, then’ relationship still stands? I wonder, if even though, Jesus paid for me in full, that God doesn’t desire my full devotion? Studying the law is what the Scribes and Pharisees were famous for, yet many of them apparently missed the whole show when Jesus appeared. What could have blinded them? Why did they miss the very thing they most hoped for? It probably wasn’t because they were stupid. Maybe it was because they loved the ‘seat of honor’ and the ‘praise from the people’ more than they loved God. Maybe it was because they were ‘religious professionals’ and not passionate relaters to their One True God. Jesus, too, knew the Old Testament Law and like any respectable Jewish boy was probably drilled in the first five books of the Bible (The Torah) over and over and over again so much so that he likely could quote the entire 5 books without error or omission.

What was different about how Jesus understood the Law and lived it perfectly and those who studied it and missed the mark totally? I wonder, because I don’t want to be on the wrong side of this deal if you know what I mean. I desire to be a ‘passionate relater’ to God like Jesus was so that His Spirit can guide me as I study and meditate on Scripture. Scripture without Spirit enlightenment and empowerment may lead to Swelling of the Religious Ego. And E.G.O. stands for ‘Edging God Out’.

Jesus executed the law perfectly even though he hacked off the religious of His day by ‘breaking their version of it often’ The Religious leaders of Jesus day missed the mark because they were all about ‘The Word of God’ but did not have an intimacy with the author that allowed them the piercing insights of how to live it as the Author intended.

So, as I study and meditate, my prayer is that God’s spirit works in me to bring the Word to Life in my life.

I wonder what you think about this? How do you guard against Religious E.G.O. and how do you let His Spirit guide you to the full truth and application of the Scriptures? Is the promise given to Joshua one that is still in effect for all believers today?

Here's to becoming a Passionate Relator to the Author of the Scriptures,
Jeff Fuson

* = Encouragement and promise from God to Joshua in the Bible book of Joshua, chapter 1, verses 6-8. (New Living Translation)

p.s. If you are a 'rising leader' who's excited about advancing the Kingdom of God, then you'll want to grab some great FREE resources over at www.risingleaderalliance.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home